One-shot Think Tank!

All about the world

One-shot Think Tank!

by riotoftheblood Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:13 am
Hello Degenesis Hivemind!

I'm writing a two PC one-shot based on a example in Katharsys (pg. 314) that goes like this:

A Judge’s daughter has been kidnapped by Apocalyptics. To rescue her, the Advocate hires the Characters via his network. They find the daughter on the Flotsam in Justitian, but not as captive: she lies in a Magpie’s arms, and very much of her own accord. However, the Judge’s orders were clear. What do the Characters do?

I'm trying to expand on this idea enough to give it weight but not too much so that it drags on. If liked by the players, I don't mind following through with another adventure but I want to flesh out the example into something more but... I'm having some trouble. With all that I read, I feel like it would be very easy for the players to find where the Judge's daughter is (Flotsam seems to be a well known place in Justitian). Taking her back would be a bit more difficult, of course (trying to fight Apocalyptics in Flotsam seems like suicide) and failing to bring back the Judge's daughter has it's own woes (which as a GM, I don't mind my players going through).

Currently, my thoughts for adding something more includes the judge being a corrupt individual who wants his daughter back ONLY because she took something that could compromise him. What that something is, I have no idea. A secret stash/cache of burn was the first thing that came to mind (with a weapon's cache as a variant idea).

Help expanding on this idea would be appreciated. Hope all is doing well!
Agent

Re: One-shot Think Tank!

by Ketzer Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:47 am
Well, first of all this sounds like a more diplomatic style of adventure in the beginning. Can the palyers talk their way out of trouble (which is surely to come up at one Point or another).
Here´s some ideas...

1. The daughter tells the players of some crafty businesses, her father has been conducting. So he does not seem to be the just man that he wants the players to believe he is.
This offers some possibilities: First oft all, the players need to work out if the Judge or his daughter tell the truth. That makes some stuff for some underground-footwork adventure where the judges network is to be uncovered and interrogated as well as the daughters testimonials have to be put to a test.
In the end the players unmask a corrupt judge or "kidnap" the lying daughter to bring her home. Up to you.

2. The daughter tells the players, she has stolen some item that holds proof that her father is involved in some rather un-jugdy buisiness. She is currentyl hiding from him and asks the players to extract the item out of Justitian and Hand it over to someone else somewhere else. The players accept and right at that Point the judges (who have been monitoring the players) attack and try to detain the daughter and everyone involved.
That makes for some high Speed road adventure where the players first have to fight their way out only to hit the road and get away with the item.

So, thats just two little ideas of coming up with two different scenarios. :)
[Tag 1:]
Etwas verwest in uns...Unter diesem dünnen Lack aus Anstand, Moral und Zivilisation gärt abgestandenes Menschsein. Und wenn die Membran reißt wird die Welt ertrinken in einem Meer aus Blut, Tränen und Pisse!
Streamer

by riotoftheblood Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 pm
Ketzer wrote:Well, first of all this sounds like a more diplomatic style of adventure in the beginning. Can the palyers talk their way out of trouble (which is surely to come up at one Point or another).
Here´s some ideas...

1. The daughter tells the players of some crafty businesses, her father has been conducting. So he does not seem to be the just man that he wants the players to believe he is.
This offers some possibilities: First oft all, the players need to work out if the Judge or his daughter tell the truth. That makes some stuff for some underground-footwork adventure where the judges network is to be uncovered and interrogated as well as the daughters testimonials have to be put to a test.
In the end the players unmask a corrupt judge or "kidnap" the lying daughter to bring her home. Up to you.

2. The daughter tells the players, she has stolen some item that holds proof that her father is involved in some rather un-jugdy buisiness. She is currentyl hiding from him and asks the players to extract the item out of Justitian and Hand it over to someone else somewhere else. The players accept and right at that Point the judges (who have been monitoring the players) attack and try to detain the daughter and everyone involved.
That makes for some high Speed road adventure where the players first have to fight their way out only to hit the road and get away with the item.

So, thats just two little ideas of coming up with two different scenarios. :)

Both scenarios are infinitely better than what was being generated in my head and I thank you for them. I'm leaning towards the first one to change the pace for my players. They are usually violence-heavy when they come to solve problems so my mind initially goes into setting up combat scenarios for them. The scenarios mentioned above will make them think more (hopefully).

I think I'm going to have the corrupt judge have a Black Book of all his shady dealings and that was the item taken form him. I'm not too familiar with the Chroniclers/Needles but I had a thought that the judge helped a Needle obtain something and the Black Book has notes about it. What the something is... NO IDEA. :lol:

I've been re-reading the lore though so I have some ideas brewing.
Agent

by Ketzer Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 am
If it was my story I would add the flavor of recent political ongoings (I love to make my stories critically reflect poltics and social issues).
Maybe the Judge is fed up seeing the Apocalyptics rising in numbers and influence with their hedonist and kind of anarchist attitudes and plans to "cut the bushes" a little bit. So what he did is he wrote a personal and secret note to some of his friends (other Judges and Chroniclers that is) to help him set up Propaganda, riots and stuff against the Apos. His daughter has gotten her hands on one of these notes and immediately ran for Magpie to warn him of her fathers plots.

...Enter the players...

The Judges daughter is in a somewhat hefty situation, as Magpie grew pretty angry about the bad news. He promised her that if her fathers plots came to be he would arise the Night of Terror, where blood would flood the streets of Justitian.

The daughter is now caught between the rocks...on the one side she does not want her fathers plans to flourish, on the other hand she needs to stop Magpie from running wild.
So she asks the players to extract two items...the notes of her father as well as a note from Magpie calling his brethren to arms.
The players need to find an elder Apo who is known to have calming influence on Magpie and the youngbloods in Justitian.

In the end you will see if the players have to broker terms of piece between the factions or if they choose sides.
Etwas verwest in uns...Unter diesem dünnen Lack aus Anstand, Moral und Zivilisation gärt abgestandenes Menschsein. Und wenn die Membran reißt wird die Welt ertrinken in einem Meer aus Blut, Tränen und Pisse!
Streamer

by FrozenFlesh Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:28 am
I just combined all your ideas into a nice little adventure for my group. :)
I’ll leave a short summary here.

The daughter tells the PCs about her father doing illegal trade with burn. She stole some of his notes to prove it.
He actually uses the burn to spread false information and propaganda against the apos. (He’s a bit of an extremist)
The apos found out about this, and now use his daughter to get information. She doesn’t know about her father’s extreme procedures. She also doesn’t know that the magpie plans to assasinate her father, and everyone involved.
If they players find this out, and can prove it to her, she will tell the PCs to stop them.
The players can steal the magpies attack order, or attack the apos. They can also steal the documents that prove that false propaganda was spread. They can hand it to the judges or destroy it. If they alarm the judges, the PCs will have to bring the Judges to the apos, and help them captivate them.
The father might see them, why they steal it, and try to convince them to hand them out, destroy them, or he will threaten the players. Will they kill him?
They will also have to bring the daughter to safety, after she found out, she only was used by the apos. The apos have their eyes everywhere in Justitian. If the players attacked the apos earlier, they will try to stop them relentlessly.
Bit

by Ketzer Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm
Well, that makes some cool Story where in the end, the Players can make the Apos and the Judges turn against each other, resulting in all out warfare in the streets with the other cults taking sides and that. :)
Streamer

by riotoftheblood Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:25 pm
Hello!

Sorry about the late reply. Thank you everyone for you input! I'm used to running games that are usually clear-cut so this gives me some great insight. Currently I'm running the published adventure trilogy that's out but I plan to cut back around and run this once all is said and done.
Agent

by MarcU Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:40 am
Hi Ketzer and FrozenFlesh,

I really like this synopsis, and as a new player, I was wondering whether reading about the Apocalyptics in Primal Punk would be enough to flesh out this nifty li'll one-shot, or if there is more published out there that could help me get it rigged up fast, instead of reading all of Primal Punk and Katharsys (a whopping 700 A4 pages... more than LOTR... :idea: ) before I can get my hands at it...

I would really love to play faster than that, and the biggest bottleneck is certainly absorbing the unstructured background knowledge dispersed through the paper versions (I don't have pdf's)

I read German very well, so I could buy Justitian in the German version if anything like "Flotsam" would be worked out in that tome... :) I don't mind having to convert to Rebirth rules.

Thanks for your thoughts...
MarcU
Bit

Sort By